Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Fandom


The biggest fandom experience I've had in my life revolves around the cultural phenomenon Harry Potter. I think a big reason for this is that content was being created during my childhood, and a mix of being a teenager, being a nerd, and being a mediocre artist sort of collided into one. Many aspects of the Potter fandom are similar to the Brony fandom we looked at in class. The Potter fandom makes music "Wizard Wrock", they plan events (Leakycon, Quidditch games, previously movie premieres). In many ways the fandoms are practically identical, and if it weren't for the stigma of My Little Pony being for children, they'd be exactly the same. My involvement in the community was fairly slim, but I always loved listening to the podcasts that were put out weekly by Mugglenet.com. This was before all the books were out, so the speculation is what always brought me back. Now that there is a new series of movies planned, as well as the new addition to the theme park, I'm hoping that part of the fandom will be revitalized. 

No comments:

Post a Comment